This Shivastalam is located 3km north of Muthuppettai the nearest railhead on the Tiruvarur Tirutturaippundi railroad amidst verdant
surroundings. A white colored Shivalingam occupies the sanctum. This town is also known as
Maangadu, and the Vinayakar here is known as Maangaattu Vinayakar. This
shrine is regarded as the 107th in the series of Tevara Stalams in the
Chola Region south of the river Kaveri.
has it that Rama along with Lakshmanan, Jambavan, Sugreevan and Hanuman worshipped here on
his way toSri Lanka.
This temple with 2 prakarams occupies an area of over 2 acres. A five
tiered Rajagopuram adorns its entrance. Inscriptions from the period of the Chola
rulers Vikrama Chola, Rajaraja III and Rajendra Chola III (12th -13th centuries) are
found here. Images of Rama and others adorn the temple towers. There is a
Kaamakottam shrine in the outer prakaram here. This Ambal temple was built in or around
the year 1237, during the rule of Rajaraja Chola III. Inscriptions here also speak of the
endowments made for the worship of Surya in this temple.
In this town are a temple to
Rama, a stream by name Jambavan Odai, and areas by name Hanuman Kaadu,
Festivals: Four worship services are offered each day. The annual
Bhrammotsavam is celebrated in the month of Chittirai. Kartikai Deepam, Arudra Darisanam,
Aani Tirumanjanam, Aadi Pooram, Aavani Moolam, Navaratri, Skanda Sashti are also