This Shivastalam is a shrine added later on to the collection of 274 Shivastalams
during this century. (Most references point only to 274 Tevara Paadal Petra Stalams). The
Tevaram hymns dedicated to this shrine were found in the temple inscriptions and are hence
not a part of the original collection of the Tirumurais compiled by Nambiyandar Nambi. The patikam here is referred to as
Putiya Patikam. This temple and the associated Patikam of
songs were discovered only in 1917.This is hence considered to be the
128th of the Tevara Stalams in the Chola country located to the south
of the river kaveri.
Legend has it that this temple was built originally
by a ruler by name Vidaiyavan of the Solar race and that Shiva here
was worshipped by Aadiseshan, Agasthyar and Atri. Appar refers to this shrine
as Vidaivaikkudi in his Adaivutiruttandakam.